See below for some video footage and photos of our 2020 Hope Cross Campaign and the revealing of the Time Capsule contents (placed in the cornerstone when the current facility was built, in 1965) as we begin a year of celebration for our 200th Anniversary!
All our hope crosses have been claimed, and we hope that seeing them around town gives all of you Hope in Christ, in difficult times and every day.
A Brief History of Avon United Methodist Church
In 1820, a group of sixteen people, seven men and nine women, gathered to discuss opening a Methodist Episcopal church in the area. Funds were scarce, but with dedication to their faith, strong wills and a desire in their hearts they organized a church class in this region, then called Xuema (Zuma).
After Lorain county was formed in 1822, this area was renamed "Avon Township" by petition in 1824, and officially organized (with a Post Office established) in 1825. The small township became a Village in the year 1917, and by 1961 it had grown into a City.
The first gathering place for Worship Services and Sunday School was a log schoolhouse. In 1826, a large block meeting house was built to serve all denominations in the area, and the first Methodist Episcopal Church building was constructed in 1834 on North Ridge Rd (now Detroit Rd). By 1853, it was apparent that a larger space was necessary, and a new building was constructed at the same location in 1855. This church was solidly built, and survived until January 1910 when it was destroyed by fire.
Weekly church meetings continued in the Woodsmen of the World Hall, on the second floor of a building on the corner of Detroit Road and Route 611 (there was a meat market and a Post Office on the first floor). The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 24, 1910, and the building was dedicated in January 8, 1911, a year to the day after the fire.
With continued growth, there was a need to move to a new location again in the mid-1900s. The church broke ground in November 1964, the cornerstone was laid in March and the steeple raised in July of 1965, and the first Worship Service took place at 37711 Detroit Rd (our current location) on November 7, 1965. In 1967, the Barn was moved to its current location and dedicated, and the Pavilion was built in 1976. Worshipers continue to meet here each Sunday, and we welcome our community to join us, just as we have for the past 200+ years.
Sharing Hope with our Neighbors
During the COVID-19 Pandemic of 2020, a group of Avon UMC members got together to build and distribute Hope Crosses to our community, led by our pastor Micah Holland. These crosses signified that we are looking to Jesus for our Hope in these tumultuous times, and we wanted to extend that hope to our neighbors as well. We were able to distribute more than 3,000 crosses and signs from April through September, and we want to thank the teams who put them together, as well as all our friends who spread the word!